Thursday, March 20, 2014

EGOtalk: The Time To Be Selfish!

Hi Egos, I read an article recently on what to expect from love in your twenties. There were so many good points in that article. If you want to read the whole article check out my facebook page.
 
source: http://data2.whicdn.com/images/106586457/large.jpgHowever I don't want to talk about the whole post but one point they made that sparked my interest the most. The twenties are THE time to be selfish. I'm not sure if this rule only applies to the twenties but since I'm not thirty yet (and won't be for a couple of more years :D) I'll just go with it!

source: tumblr
 
So the main reason why now is the time to think about yourself only is this: You need to find out who you really are before you start finding happiness in other people. How can you make someone happy if you don't even know what it feels like to be happy? The way I see it being selfish in your twenties makes you a more selfless person later on because obviously you'll be the kind of person that knows herself/himself enough to treat other people the way they deserve it.
 
Now this sounds all like a great theory but how do you practice it? The first rule is to allow yourself to make mistakes. I for one have this rule to never regret anything I've ever done because first of all I can't undo it and secondly I've learned something from that very mistake. I was once in France and had JUST missed my bus back to Germany. You can't imagine how frightened, hysteric and entirely overwhelmed I was.
 
source: tumblr
 
The mistake I made was to take a bus that only left me 20 minutes instead of 8 hours to get to the bus that would take me to Germany. I was too lazy to hang around 8 hours at the bus station and ignored the fact that 20 minutes was way too little time. I wanted to sleep longer, eat a good meal and then take the bus. I did that and enjoyed it but it just wasn't worth the money I lost and the panic I experienced later that day.
 
What did I learn from it? In France 20 minutes late is still perfectly on time (as a German I disagree). I also learned that there is always another way to get to where you want to go. Yes, I had to spend a fortune on a last minute train and go on a huge detour as well but who cares? I learned about myself that I'm capable of thinking straight after a minor breakdown (okay... sobbing 30 minutes in the parking lot might not be minor after all). But I found a way to overcome this and gained more self-confidence.
 
I don't want to repeat that experience but should it happen again I'll know what to do immediately!
 
How about you guys?
 
C U Egos!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...